Friday 24 October 2014

Poetry Session.

Let’s all sit down and let me to tell you about me and poetry. I know some of you will be surprised that I listen to poetry, who am i not to? I love poetry and mostly Xhosa and Zulu poetry  ,as I’m typing this blog I’m listening to a chap called Nqontsonqa whose  real name is Siphelo Dyongman ,born and bred in Grahamstown  . This guy’s 2nd compilation is a must have, it is entitled “ANC-Ayindim Ndenzeni’’ meaning it’s not my fault Compilation. This gentlemen’s poetry is thought provoking and straight to the point it discusses real life issues. The album is written in Xhosa.
What is Poetry?
It is a creative art which was born as an oral form and accompanied by simple music and dance. It express what people regard as meaningful and memorable in their lives. Whenever you write poetry you should take into account the effective use of words, remember that poetry is for you to play with words, choose and arrange them to produce nice music that flows with a meaning .Poetry is many things to many people.


Before I get too serious about  my ideology of poetry lets continue unpacking this talent of Grahamstown whose music has a spontaneous flow of powerful words and feelings. When listening to Nqontsonqa you find yourself reflecting back to your own experiences. He is a real inspiration to the young stars in the Eastern Cape. He has won awards such as the Best solo Poet at Ijongo Productions talent search and a bronze award in speech and drama competition held by UBOM theatre. He also markets his own t-shirt self- titled Nqontsonqa imbongi yakwantu. Praise poetry is fast growing in the Eastern Cape this shows that we really want to see change in our societies .You probably want to know what is it with me and  Xhosa poetry, let me fill you in,after 1994 many of us went to multi-racial schools and that's where our languages and customs disappeared. Hearing people singing traditional songs and relating a poem 
in Isixhosa with all the clicks and accurate rhymes in between it made me want to listen to it all the time and reminded me of our heritage which we need to embrace.Since i grew up listening to more of English poetry i think i am now more interested in Xhosa poetry.The album of Nqontsonqa is avalaible in Vincent and Hemmingways musica.







No comments:

Post a Comment